Unofficial University of Nottingham (UNMC) Blog
.:The only blog that tells you about happenings in UNMC! Read and post stories here!:.

Karma

by Owl Order

Last October, I went to the library and found an unattended cellphone.



It was a Nokia N70, grey in colour. I sat beside it for a good half hour, but nobody came to pick it up.

So I did. By going through the phone's messages, I discovered the guy's name, let's call him Raj, and his call logs indicate that he is not a local student. Then I contacted the last local number he called, hoping that the number brings me to a UNMC student.



And it did. Some time later Raj's friend came over and pick up the phone. And some hours later, I received a message from Raj, thanking me for my honesty.


Sidenote: I do have a lot of messages stored in my phone. This is message 939/1097.

I chatted with my friend over the internet about this event.
Me: I can't believe I returned a phone I found today. After months of wanting a better phone!

KS: How's your phone-shopping coming along?

Me: I nearly bought a Sony Ericsson P1i yesterday. Luckily I didn't! P1i's Wifi may not be compatible with UNMC's.

KS: See? Your honesty has paid off. That's karma!
Well that's not really what I call karma. Instead of two phones, now I get none?

Fast forward half a year. Last week after returning home, I realised that I didn't have my thumbdrive with me. Dang! Must have left it in the computer room.

The thumbdrive itself isn't that valuable. It costed over RM100, but that was more than three years ago. It's 512MB capacity isn't appealing either. What mattered was its contents. In it I had some past year questions, soft copy of notes, lab reports (I left my thumbdrive attached to the computer after printing these), and my programming codes for the electron...

Damn. I spent a whole 10 weeks programming for that electronic project. What's more, it's a group work, and my friends are relying on that piece of code for our entire module!

I immediately rushed to the computer room in the middle of the night, attempting to retrieve it, hoping against hope that it is still there.

But it wasn't. I inquired about it with the security guard, and waited while he contacted the main guardhouse.

And waited.

And waited.

"Long, black, Apacer thumbdrive?"

"Ah yes!"

"Go to guardhouse 1 to claim it."

I thanked the security guard, trying hard to hide my glee while rushing to the said guardhouse. Sure enough, my thumbdrive was waiting for me there. After filling in a report, I gladly went home with it.



That, my friends, is what I call karma.

PS: To whoever helped passing my thumbdrive to the security guards, thanks a million!
14 comments:

thanks a million for putting this up for me =D


tats not karma, thumbdrive is too cheap to be worth stolen.
try leave ur shiny handphone somewhr in sch n see if u can get it back some time later XD


karma doesn't have to be in the same equivalent value. sometimes you may even get back more than what you have sowed. good for you owl_order =)


I left my mobile in library too last year. And thank god, someone was sooo nice to call my friend and return it to him. And I lost my thumbdrive twice (:S) and got it back on both occasions. Isn't that cool? :D


awesome.I myself returned like,2 pendrives this year haha.


Im not proud to say it, but i left my pendrive 3 times in Tiscra this year!

But there are so many good Samaritans out there that it was given into the guard station on each occasion.

Just wanted to say thanks to my mystery benefactors that saved me a lot of time/effort/money and face especially when explaining to my other Execs that ive lost the files for whatever internal project we were working on!

Thanks again.

----------------------------------------

On a side note, there is a significant quantity of unclaimed Lost Property, so I'm looking for a few volunteers to help me and the new SA Execs to sort through it and hopefully return it to its rightful owners!

Email me at sacomm@nottingham.edu.my if you want to help out!


ayub:
define helping? i didn't know SA has a stock of lost property. why are some stuff passed to guardhouse and some to SA?


last year i lost my walet.arount 500rm cash was in it.som1 found it n gave it bak.i can just say May Allah help u whnvr u r in trouble


the electronic project i mentioned in the article? we had our demonstration today. it went on very well, and the lecturer seemed quite satisfied with it.

thanks again to whoever it was again! the code contained within the thumbdrive was like the Force for a Jedi... without it we'd get like 0 marks for this module


There is no such thing as karma.
When something bad happens, one tries to find some reason for the 'bad karma'.
When something good happens, one tries to find some reason for the 'good karma'.

Your chances of recovering your pendrive was hardly affected by your good deed last year, unless "Raj" helped recover your pendrive behind the scenes.


why is everybody getting the message wrong? the karma thingy is just a small element i put in my post to "spice" it up.

the true aim of this post is to reach out to people who have helped me in the recovery process. if karma were the main aim of this post i would thank myself more than the person who helped.

peace to all karma believers and opposers alike.


lol, 1 good deed deserves another. glad to know you owl order


i know the guy that lost the phone..he is my friend!! we became close friends because i found hs phone as well!! ahhahahah


I lost my 16G thumbdrive in TISCRA and it has my dissertation in it. Too bad i find it anywhere... Not as lucky as u... Oh well i believe in Kharma.


Post a Comment

Exam problems solved in just ONE HOUR!

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address to know the updates:

HEY THERE, EVERYBODY!

Love to read/know about hints on who's gonna be the Next SA President and so on?

We are currently compiling stories, happenings, and events
that's related to UNMC.

And if you'd like to spread the words about your best friend's birthday bash, your faculty's clubbing night, or even somebody singing annoyingly in your shared bathroom,
you could mail your stories to this mail
003584@gmail.com
kedy82mha@nottingham.edu.my

Recent Comments



Want this widget?
Click Here!

Followers




Want this on your blog?
Just copy and paste the links below