Unofficial University of Nottingham (UNMC) Blog
.:The only blog that tells you about happenings in UNMC! Read and post stories here!:.

Campus Security

by OWL ORDER

It's no laughing matter when it comes to campus security.

All day round you see guards patrolling the school grounds. Dozens of CCTVs are installed throughout the premises. The perimeter is surrounded by 2-meter high fences. Guardhouses can be found at both entrances to the school.

It certainly feels as if the security could qualify for an airport or country border.

Several months ago, when I first came to UNMC, I went around the school shooting photos and was quite amused when the in-campus hostel reminded me horribly of a prison.


I surely wouldn't want to stay in prison. Especially after what people say, "school is a prison everybody must experience". I have to go to school, but sleeping in prison AFTER school is surely avoidable.

I mean WAS avoidable.

My off-campus house was already armed with a guardhouse. The guardhouse was merely feet from my house and I'm sure the guards could even hear my irritating snores at night.


However, accidents still happen.

In late November 2008, a UNMC student was killed after a misunderstanding, just few minutes away from my place.

That, added with a series of burglaries and break-ins, simply meant tightening security in campus wasn't enough.



So one fine day, I came home from school to find the walls of my house taller by one whole foot. Not with anything, but with BARBED WIRES.



Wow. I can feel my wings dropping off already. All of sudden the trees beyond the fence look greener, the birds livelier, and the skies bluer.

OK maybe not the skies.



The ironic thing is that however tall our fences are, we don't have a gate. Any burglars reading this?



No, please don't get us gates! At least real prisoners get free food and no one'll bother them around if they skip classes or don't hand in assignments.
27 comments:

Very nice article my friend


Thank you to OWL Order for the story


lol. i like the way you highlight the key points of the article.

glad you like my story anyway


Thank you.
By the way, it was really good article.


Actually, if you don't keep your eyes on the fence ( or the made-of-air-gate), you'll find abundant freedom such as:-

Passing the guards with just a wave.
No curfews no matter how late.
On campus have boy-girl-boy floor arrangements.
Patrols are outside on the road, they don't barge in.

But I enjoy the freedom. It's awesome. There's always a risk of theft and stuff, but I think the security around doesn't constrict us, yet is sufficient to help if anyth happens.


sounds good roey :) .. anyways, everything comes with a price and seriously most of us paid dearly for it :)


hahaha..
no gates..
but 7 foot walls....
so secure..


spotted a grammatical error. "one whole foot", not feet.

ah i suck.

roey:
yeah. the freedom's great. well the fences and imaginary gates are supposed to keep people from coming in, not us from getting out.


The grammatical error have been fixed


I got my phone stolen when i was living in tts5 Edu Square. the windows were closed and i was sleeping inside. The thief used a strong fork to open the aluminum window. abt 3:00 am.


hey saw some cop cars in campus 2day. heard something hapnd in tiomann?any idea wt is it?


I am of the opinion that we should build a 15-foot wall enclosing the campus as well as TTS in its entirety and add a moat, and renaming the mound we (On TTS and the campus) are on as 'Citadel Nottingham'.

On a side note, Edu Square's universal 'Open door policy' is truly inviting to everyone.


lol, more like a 'no door policy'

nope didn't see the police cars. anybody with any idea what happened? i'd seriously like to know


Yeah.I'm super curious now
tell me tell me tell me


heard somethin really really serious happened..


the thief stealing laptops at pangkor hall was caught a few days ago. it was a student too. sad...


that thief was caught by another student. not security.

last week of march - a student got mugged in tts. the mugger put a dagger around the victim's neck and took his touchscreen cellphone.

it happens quite a lot. students in tts are easy targets and uni administration know abt it. when there were RELAs (?) after the murder of the Sri Lankan student, the community was safe for a while.

the uni should do something abt the security in tts. although it's outside the walls. the people living there are still notts students. we came from different parts of the world / malaysia to call this uni home for a few years and the uni's not taking the responsibility to give the protection of a home.

living in fear and suspicion is not cooool at all!


heard somethin abt a rape, is it true?


LoL..
it is true???


dunno but i saw azlan yesterday movin around at nite...something definitely happened..


early morning today, my friend's room got entered again. EduSquare TTS5. 1st Floor!! first time he got his handphone stolen.

now is the second time. he was sleeping inside. laptop, wallet and handphone all gone.

good job keeping students safe.


I had my laptop stolen when i was asleep. 2 years ago. did not feel good. i took precautions after that. get a basic alarm system from electronic stores.. place it at all entrance. so far so good guys. try it.


hey, since you guys have so many comments...why didnt u all submit directly to the representatives from UK main campus who came over to our campus last year after the slaughtering case. all of u'll be really appreciated if you guys did so.


"Better safe than sorry"
"Prevention is better than cure"

I think we could think it up ourselves.I live in TTS4 and currently,no crime around me.But me and my housemates took precautions such as learning martial arts and carry little cash around.

It;s a dangerous world out there and who else is there to protect you, aside from yourself?

I gave up hope on the idea of anybody else protecting me. It's time to wake up and do it all yourselves people!


i think its really good to air our fears but if we want to see change, don't be afraid to send them to the people that are here to represent us.. the SA!

but instead of accusations, come up with innovative ideas that you think are plausible for the uni to implement!

Life is what u make it and so is uni! dont sit back and watch life pass you by, take a stand the right way and see what you as an individual can achieve!


hey guys i heard a malay girl was raped by seven tamil guys (no disrespect to tamils) recently....is this true?...i heard she was raped in tts2 and also they say she malay lah in 2nd year chemical engineering...any1 hear also?


Post a Comment

Exam problems solved in just ONE HOUR!

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address to know the updates:

HEY THERE, EVERYBODY!

Love to read/know about hints on who's gonna be the Next SA President and so on?

We are currently compiling stories, happenings, and events
that's related to UNMC.

And if you'd like to spread the words about your best friend's birthday bash, your faculty's clubbing night, or even somebody singing annoyingly in your shared bathroom,
you could mail your stories to this mail
003584@gmail.com
kedy82mha@nottingham.edu.my

Recent Comments



Want this widget?
Click Here!

Followers




Want this on your blog?
Just copy and paste the links below